The United Laboratories Company (ULC) administers the Laboratory Accreditation Consultation Program (LACP) by name Road to International Accreditation (CAP).
LACP is comprised of laboratory accreditation programs (LAPs) which are established on the basis of requests and demonstrated need. Each LAP includes specific calibration and/or test standards and related methods and protocols assembled to satisfy the unique needs for accreditation in a field of testing or calibration. LACP consult public and private laboratories based on evaluation of their technical qualifications and competence to carry out specific calibrations or tests.
Accreditation criteria are established in accordance with Colleague of American Pathologists (CAP), LACP Procedures and General Requirements.
LACP provides an evaluation and recognition of performance, as well as expert technical guidance to upgrade laboratory performance. LACP signifies that a laboratory has demonstrated that it operates in accordance with gold standard in laboratory accreditation, management and technical requirements pertaining to quality systems; personnel; accommodation and environment; test and calibration methods; equipment; measurement traceability; sampling; handling of test and calibration items; and test and calibration reports.
Goals and Objectives
The goal of Road to International Accreditation (CAP)! is to enable medical laboratory to prepare the laboratory for accreditation by improve patient safety to meet or exceed international regulatory requirements.
The main objectives include:
- Provides the laboratory with a continuing flow of commission-distributed information about exemplary policies, procedures and projects.
- Provides the laboratory an opportunity to participate in the development of new or revised standards.
- Provides recognition that the laboratory's managerial and operational policies and procedures are in accord with international regulatory standards.
- Assures that laboratory policies and procedures are in written form and available to all laboratory personnel.
- Assures personnel that every aspect of the laboratory's personnel system is in accordance with professional standards, and that it is both fair and equitable.
- Enhances the morale of the laboratory by increasing the confidence of employees in the effectiveness and efficiency of their own laboratory.
- Promotes relationships with other neighbouring laboratories
- Re-evaluation of laboratory policies and procedures especially as documented in the laboratory's written directives system
- Ensure quality, integrity, and accuracy of laboratory examinations through the use of external, intralaboratory, and interagency proficiency testing.
- Further the professional development of laboratory personnel by providing training opportunities in the latest technological trends and encouraging membership and certification
- Provide the highest quality of pathology and laboratory services through continued adherence to all applicable international regulatory standards.
- Recommendations for Correction of deficiencies.