HPV stands for Human Papillomavirus. It is a sexually transmitted disease that affects the genital area of males and females.
here are more than 40 types of HPV, some causing genital warts, some having no physical symptoms, and some that may lead to cervical cancer in women.
They are broadly classified as high risk or low risk types depending on the severity of disease caused.
How common is HPV
- HPV is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases.
- Most people who have sex will develop an HPV infection at some point in their lives.
- Most people who get HPV don’t even know it they will only find out about the HPV infection if they develop genital warts or women may discover the infection through their annual pap or HPV test.
- Almost 50% of men and women that are sexually active are infected with HPV.
- By age 50, at least 80% of sexually active people are infected.
Genital Human Papillomavirus (HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted virus worldwide. More than half of sexually active men and women are infected with HPV at some point in their lives..